Before using vMotion, you must configure your hosts correctly.
- Each host must be licensed for vMotion.
- Each host must meet shared storage requirements for vMotion. See vMotion Shared Storage Requirements.
- Each host must meet the networking requirements for vMotion. See vSphere vMotion Networking Requirements.
vMotion Across Long Distances
You can perform reliable migrations between hosts and sites that are separated by high network round-trip latency times. vMotion across long distances is enabled when the appropriate license is installed. No user configuration is necessary.
For long-distance migration, verify the network latency between the hosts and your license.
- The round-trip time between the hosts must be up to 150 milliseconds.
- Your license must cover vMotion across long distances.
- You must place the traffic related to transfer of virtual machine files to the destination host on the provisioning TCP/IP stack. See How to Place Traffic for Cold Migration, Cloning, and Snapshots on the Provisioning TCP/IP Stack.