Before using vMotion, you must configure your hosts correctly.
Ensure that you have correctly configured your hosts.
- Each host must be correctly licensed for vMotion.
- Each host must meet shared storage requirements for vMotion.
- Each host must meet the networking requirements for vMotion.
vMotion Across Long Distances
You can perform reliable migrations between hosts and sites that are separated by high network round-trip latency times. vMotion across long distances is enabled when the appropriate license is installed. No user configuration is necessary.
For long-distance migration, verify the network latency between the hosts and your license.
- The round-trip time between the hosts must be up to 150 milliseconds.
- Your license must cover vMotion across long distances.
- You must place the traffic related to transfer of virtual machine files to the destination host on the provisioning TCP/IP stack. See Place Traffic for Cold Migration, Cloning, and Snapshots on the Provisioning TCP/IP Stack.