You can power off or restart any ESXi host using the vSphere Client. Powering off a managed host disconnects it from vCenter Server, but does not remove it from the inventory.
- Power off all virtual machines that are running on the host, or migrate the virtual machines to a new host by using vMotion.
- Put the host in maintenance mode.
- In the vSphere Client home page, navigate to and select a host.
- From the Actions menu, select Power.
- Select the operation.
- To power off and restart the ESXi host, click Reboot.
- To power off the ESXi host, click Shut Down.
- Provide a reason for the operation and click OK.
This information is added to the log file.