Migration of VMs between vCenter Server instances moves VMs to new networks. The migration process performs checks to verify that the source and destination networks are similar.
vCenter Server performs network compatibility checks to prevent the following configuration problems:
- MAC address compatibility on the destination host
- vMotion from a distributed switch to a standard switch
- vMotion between distributed switches of different versions
- vMotion to an internal network, for example, a network without a physical NIC
- vMotion to a distributed switch that is not working properly
vCenter Server does not perform checks for and notify you about the following problems:
- If the source and destination distributed switches are not in the same broadcast domain, virtual machines lose network connectivity after migration.
- If the source and destination distributed switches do not have the same services configured, virtual machines might lose network connectivity after migration.