You can add hosts under a data center object, a folder object, or a cluster object. If a host contains virtual machines, those virtual machines are added under the host in the inventory.
- Verify that a data center or a folder exists in the inventory.
- Obtain the user name and password of the root user account for the host.
- Verify that hosts behind a firewall are able to communicate with the vCenter Server system and all other hosts through port 902 or another custom-configured port.
- Verify that all NFS mounts on the host are active.
- Verify that you have the proper privileges. Different sets of privileges apply when you add multiple hosts to a cluster and a single host to a cluster or a data center. For more information, see Required Privileges for Common Tasks in the vSphere Security documentation.
- If you want to add a host with more than 512 LUNs and 2,048 paths to the vCenter Server inventory, verify that the vCenter Server instance is suitable for a large or an x-large environment.
- In the vSphere Client, navigate to a data center or folder within a data center.
- Right-click the data center or folder and select Add Host.
- Enter the IP address or the name of the host and click Next.
- Enter administrator credentials and click Next.
- Review the host summary and click Next.
- License the host through one of the following methods.
- Assign an already existing license.
- Assign a new license.
- Click Create New Licenses. The Add Host wizard minimizes in Work in Progress and the New Licenses wizard appears.
- Enter or copy and paste the new license key from Customer Connect and click Next.
- Enter a new name for the license and click Next.
- Review the new license and click Finish.
- In the Add Host wizard, click Next.
- (Optional) Select a lockdown mode option to deactivate the remote access for the administrator account after vCenter Server takes control of this host and click Next.
- (Optional) If you add the host to a data center or a folder, select a location for the virtual machines that reside on the host and click Next.
- Review the summary and click Finish.
A new task for adding the host appears in the Recent Tasks pane. It might take a few minutes for the task to complete.