Memory hot add lets you add memory resources for a virtual machine while that virtual machine is powered on.
Enabling memory hot add produces some memory overhead on the ESXi host for the virtual machine.
- Power off the virtual machine.
- Verify that the virtual machine has a guest operating system that supports memory hot add functionality.
- Verify that the virtual machine compatibility is ESXi 4.x and later.
- Verify that VMware Tools is installed.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the inventory and select Edit Settings.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, expand Memory, and select Enable to enable adding memory to the virtual machine while it is powered on.
- Click OK.
Note: Hot-adding memory to a virtual machine with NVIDIA vGPU requires that the ESXi host have a free vGPU slot.