To enable the vApp functionality for a virtual machine that is not a part of a vApp, you must enable vApp options at the virtual machine level. Virtual machine vApp options are saved when you export the virtual machine as an OVF template. Those vApp options are later used when you deploy the OVF template.
If you enable vApp options and export a virtual machine to OVF, the virtual machine receives an OVF Environment XML descriptor at boot time. The OVF descriptor might include values for custom properties, including network configuration and IP addresses.
- As a CD-ROM that contains the XML document. The CD-ROM is mounted on the CD-ROM drive.
- Through VMware Tools. The guest OS environment variable guestinfo.ovfEnv contains the XML document.
- Navigate to a virtual machine from the vCenter Server inventory.
- On the Configure tab, expand Settings and select vApp options.
- Click the Edit button.
The Edit vApp Options dialog box opens.
- If vApp options are disabled, select the Enable vApp options check box and click OK.