An OVF template captures the state of a virtual machine or vApp into a self-contained package. The disk files are stored in a compressed, sparse format.
Power off the virtual machine or vApp.
- Navigate to a virtual machine or vApp and from the Actions menu, select .
- In the Name field, enter the name of the template.
For example, enter MyVm.Note: When you export an OVF template with a name that contains asterisk (*) characters, those characters turn into underscore (_) characters.
- (Optional) In the Annotation field, enter a description.
- Select the Enable advanced options check box if you want to include additional information or configurations in the exported template.
The advanced settings include information about the BIOS UUID, MAC addresses, boot order, PCI Slot numbers, and configuration settings used by other applications. These options limit portability.
- To save each file associated with the template (.ovf, .vmdk, .mf), click OK and respond to the prompts .