After you check out a virtual machine from a template and update the virtual machine, you must check the virtual machine back into the VM template. When you check in the virtual machine to a template, you create a new version of the VM template containing the updated state of the virtual machine.
When you check in the virtual machine to the VM template, you allow the deployment of the last changes that you make to the virtual machine.
Verify that the virtual machine is powered off or suspended. You cannot check in a powered on virtual machine to a VM template.
- To check in a virtual machine to a template:
Option Action From a content library
- Navigate to .
- To open a content library, click its name.
- On the Templates tab, select a VM template and click Check in VM to template.
From the vSphere Client inventory
The Check in VM dialog box opens.
- Navigate to and click the VM template.
- Click the Versioning tab and in the vertical timeline view, click Check in VM to template.
- To describe the change, enter a comment in Check in notes .
- Click Check in.