Converting a template to a virtual machine changes the template. This action does not make a copy. You convert a template to a virtual machine to edit the template. You might also convert a template to a virtual machine if you do not need to preserve it as a golden image for deploying virtual machines.
Verity that you have the following privileges:
- on the source template.
- on the resource pool where the virtual machine runs.
- Start the Convert Template to Virtual Machine wizard.
Option Description From a valid parent object of a virtual machine
- Right-click any inventory object that is a valid parent object of a virtual machine and select New Virtual Machine.
- On the Select a creation type page, select Convert template to virtual machine, and click Next.
- On the Select a template page of the wizard, select a template to deploy from the list.
From a template
Right-click the template and select Convert to Virtual Machine.
- On the Select a compute resource page, select the host, cluster, vApp, or resource pool for the virtual machine to run in.
If the template that you convert has an NVDIMM device and virtual PMem hard disks, the destination host or cluster must have available PMem resource. Otherwise, you cannot proceed with the task.
If the template that you convert does not have an NVDIMM device, but it has virtual PMem hard disks, the destination host or cluster must have available PMem resource. Otherwise, all the hard disks of the virtual machine use the storage policy and datastore selected for the configuration files of the source template.
The Compatibility pane shows the result from the compatibility checks.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the settings, and click Finish.