You can create an WSFC cluster in which each physical server has a corresponding virtual machine. This type of configuration is known as a standby host cluster.
- Network configuration should be consistent between a physical and virtual node of a WSFC. Ensure that all required VLANs are available to ESXi hosts, hosting a virtual node of a WSFC cluster.
- Use RDMs in physical compatibility mode. You cannot use virtual disks or RDMs in virtual compatibility mode for shared storage.
- Use the STORport Miniport driver for the Fibre Channel (FC) HBA (QLogic or Emulex) in the physical Windows machine.
- Do not run multipathing software in the physical or virtual machines.
- Use only a single physical path from the host to the storage arrays in standby host configurations.