You can enable clustered VMDK support when you create a new VMFS6 datastore, or enable clustered VMDK on an existing VMFS6 datastore. Before enabling clustered VMDK support, ensure all hosts connected to the datastore are using ESXi 7.0 or later and are managed by vCenter 7.0 or later. All hosts connected to the datastore must be managed by the same vCenter.
- Navigate to any inventory object that is a valid parent object of a datastore, such as a host, a cluster, or a data center, and click the Datastores tab.
- Right-click the parent object and select Create a New Datastore.
- On the New Datastore page choose a device with the attribute Clustered VMDK Supported set to Yes. Create a VMFS6 version Datastore.
- Once the Datastore is created go to the Configure Datastore tab.
- Under General go to the Datastore Capabilities section. Click the Enable button for Clustered VMDK.
- Once enabled, you can use the Disable button to disable clustered VMDK. Disable will not work if there are any WSFC VMs using clustered VMDKs on the datastore. All virtual machines with shared disks on the datastore must be powered off.