Create distributed port groups for each NSX Edge node uplink, Edge node TEP, management network, and shared storage.
Verify that you have created a vSphere Distributed Switch.
- In the vSphere Client, navigate to a data center.
- In the navigator, right-click the distributed switch and select .
- Create a port group for the NSX Edge uplink.
- Configure VLAN Type as VLAN Trunking.
- Right-click the distributed switch and from the Actions menu, select .
- Select Teaming and failover and click Next.
- Configure active and standby uplinks.
For example, active uplink is
Uplink1and standby uplink is
- Repeat steps 4-7 for the Edge node TEP, management network, and shared storage.
For example, create the following port groups:
Port group Name VLAN Type Edge node TEP
Configure VLAN Type as VLAN Trunking.
Configure the active uplink as
Uplink2and the standby uplink as
Uplink1.Note: The VLAN used for the Edge nodes TEP must be different than the VLAN used for ESXi TEP.
Configure VLAN Type as VLAN and enter the VLAN ID of the management network. For example,
Shared storage or VSAN
Configure VLAN Type as VLAN and enter the VLAN ID. For example,
- (Optional) Create port groups for the following components:
- vSphere vMotion
- VM traffic
What to do next
Add hosts to the to the vSphere Distributed Switch. See Add Hosts to the vSphere Distributed Switch.