If you unregister a virtual machine from a host, but you do not delete the virtual machine from the datastore, you can re-register the virtual machine by using the VMware Host Client. Re-registering a virtual machine makes it appear in the inventory.
Use the datastore browser to select either a datastore, a directory, or a .vmx file to add to the list of virtual machines that you register. Selecting a datastore or directory searches for all .vmx files in that location. You can browse more than once to append virtual machines to the list.
- Right-click Host in the VMware Host Client inventory and select Create/Register VM.
The New virtual machine wizard opens.
- On the Select creation type page, select Register an existing virtual machine and click Next.
- On the Select VMs for registration page, click Select one or more virtual machines, a datastore, or a directory, locate the virtual machine that you want to register, and click Select.
- To remove a virtual machine from the list, select the name of the file and click Remove selected.
- To clear your selection and start again, click Remove all.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the details and click Finish.