VMkernel port binding for the NFS 3 datastore allows you to bind an NFS volume to a specific VMkernel adapter to connect to an NFS server. With NFS 3 datastores, you can isolate NFS traffic to a specific VMkernel adapter. To route the traffic to this adapter, connect the datastore to the adapter.
Note: Without binding, if the VMkernel adapter that ESXi uses for NFS traffic fails, the network infrastructure redirects the traffic to an alternative route. As a result, the NFS traffic might unintentionally flow through a random VMkernel adapter.
- Set up NFS storage environment.
- Create and configure a VMkernel adapter on default TCP/IP stack.
- Bind an NFS 3 datastore to a VMkernel adapter.
- In the vSphere Client navigator, browse to a host, a cluster, or a data center.
- From the right-click menu, select New Datastore.
- Select NFS as the datastore type, and select NFS 3.
- Enter the datastore parameters. For more information, see Create an NFS Datastore.
- Select Bind to vmknic.
- If you are creating the datastore at the data center or cluster level, select hosts that mount the datastore.
- For the datastore at the data center or cluster level, select one of the following options.
- Select Vmknics on all hosts. With this option, selectable VMkernel adapters are available across all hosts where you mount your datastore.
- Select Vmknic per host. With this option, you can specify a VMkernel adapter per host.
Note: You can perform only one selection at a time.
- Review the configuration options you made and click Finish.
- Review the hosts connected to the NFS 3 datastore.
You can view all the hosts connected to the NFS 3 datastore. The Vmknic Binding column shows the VMkernel adapters connected to the datastoreNote: If you delete the VMkernel adapter associated with the NFS 3 datastore, the datastore becomes inaccessible triggering a warning. The warning displays the text in the Events screen similar to the following.
- In the vSphere Client, select the NFS 3 datastore with VMkernel adapter binding.
- Click the Configure tab, and click Connectivity with Hosts.
vmknic vmkX removed, NFSv3 datastore datastore_name configured with the vmknic will be inaccessible.