You can remove partition information from a device so Virtual SAN can claim the device for use.
If you have added a device that contains residual data or partition information, you must remove all preexisting partition information from the device before you can claim it for Virtual SAN use. VMware recommends adding clean devices to disk groups.
When you remove partition information from a device, Virtual SAN deletes the primary partition that includes disk format information and logical partitions from the device.
Verify that the device is not in use by ESXi as boot disk, VMFS datastore, or Virtual SAN.
- Navigate to the Virtual SAN cluster in the vSphere Web Client.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Under Virtual SAN, click Disk Management.
- Select a host to view the list of available devices.
- From the Show drop-down menu at the bottom of the page, select Ineligible.
- Select a device from the list, and click the Erase partitions on the selected disks icon ().
- Click OK to confirm.
The device is clean and does not include any partition information.