vCenter Converter Standalone provides an option to convert an Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) Windows instance into a VMware Workstation virtual machine, and then to import the Workstation virtual machine to a vSphere host.
Ensure that the source Amazon EC2 Windows instance has a temporary volume that is large enough to accommodate the image of your Amazon EC2 Windows instance. This temporary drive must be excluded from the conversion.
- Install Converter Standalone on the Amazon EC2 Windows instance that you want to convert.
- Create a conversion task to import the Amazon EC2 Windows instance as a Workstation destination.
- Start Converter Standalone on the Amazon EC2 Windows instance.
- Click Convert Machine in the application menu to start the Conversion wizard.
- On the Source System page, select Powered on from the Select source type menu and click This local machine.
- Click Next to proceed to the Specify Destination page.
- On the Destination System page, select VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine from the drop-down menu and select a suitable VMware Workstation version from the VMware product list.
- Click Next to proceed to the Options page.
- On the Options page, select Data to Copy in the list of options.
- Deselect the check box in front of the temporary volume to exclude it from the conversion task.
- Click Next to proceed to the Summary page.
A *.vmx and a *.vmdk file are created during the conversion.
- On the temporary volume of the Amazon EC2 Windows instance, locate the VMware Workstation virtual machine files that were created during the conversion (the *.vmx and the *.vmdk files).
- Transfer the VMware Workstation virtual machine files to a location that is accessible to your virtual infrastructure and to Converter Standalone. You have several options to transfer the files:
- Upload the files to a local FTP server using an FTP client that runs inside the Amazon EC2 Windows instance.
- Upload the files from the Amazon EC2 Windows instance to Amazon S3 and download them to a location that is accessible to your virtual infrastructure and to Converter Standalone.
- Upload the files from the Amazon EC2 Windows instance to Amazon S3 and use Amazon AWS Import/Export to retrieve the data on a physical storage device. For more information about this procedure, see Amazon Web Services.