You can convert a virtual machine created or used in a VMware hosted product, such as VMware Workstation, VMware Player, and VMware Fusion.
Verify that your source machine is a supported VMware Desktop products virtual machine. For more information, see Supported Source Types.
If you plan to use a network path to locate the source, verify that the machine where Converter Standalone server runs has access to that network path.
Power off the source machine before the conversion.
- On the Source System page of the Conversion wizard, select the Powered off radio button and then select VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine from the Select source type drop-down menu.
- Locate the virtual machine source.
If you are connected to a remote Converter Standalone server, provide a network path to the source virtual machine file (.vmx) in the Virtual machine file text box. For example, \\server\virtual_machines\virtual_machine.vmx.
If you are connected to a local Converter Standalone server, provide a network path or a local path to the .vmx file.
By default, only VMware virtual machine *.vmx files are displayed.
- If you are connected to a remote Converter Standalone server, type user credentials for accessing the source virtual machine.
You do not have to provide user credentials if you are connected to a local Converter Standalone server. In such cases, Converter Standalone uses the Windows credentials to connect to the source machine.
- (Optional) To view more information about the selected source, click View source details.
- Click Next to proceed to the Destination System page.
What to do next
On the Destination System page, you can select the destination type for the new virtual machine.