Perform a client-server installation so that you can create and manage conversion tasks remotely.
During the client-server installation, you can select the Converter Standalone components that you want to install on your system. You can also choose to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program. See Configuring the Customer Experience Improvement Program
Verify that your system meets the Converter Standalone system requirements.
Verify that you have Administrator privileges.
If you have an earlier version of Converter Standalone agent on the system, uninstall Converter Standalone agent.
- Download the latest version of Converter Standalone from the VMware Web site.
- In the folder that contains the installer file you downloaded, double-click the VMware-converter-6.2.x-<xxxxx>.exe file, where <xxxxx> is the number of the build.
- Follow the prompts till the End-User License Agreement page appears.
- Select I agree to the terms in the License agreement and click Next.
- On the Destination Folder page, select the location to install Converter Standalone and click Next.
The default location is C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.
- On the Setup Type page, select Client-Server installation (advanced) and click Next.
- On the Custom Setup page, select the components that you want to install and click Next.
Option Description Converter server Converter Standalone server manages the conversion tasks. It handles the communication between the Converter Standalone clients and Converter Standalone agents. You cannot install Converter server alone. You must install Converter Standalone server together with Remote access or with the Converter Standalone client, or with both. Remote access If you install Remote access, local and multiple remote Converter Standalone clients can connect to the local Converter Standalone server. With Remote access you can create and manage conversion tasks remotely. For remote access, you must perform a client-server installation. Converter agent Install Converter Standalone agent so that the local machine can be a source machine for conversions. Converter client If you install only Converter Standalone client, you can connect to a remote Converter Standalone server. You can then use the remote machine to convert hosted virtual machines, managed virtual machines, or remote physical machines.
When you install the Converter Standalone server and Remote access, the local machine becomes a server for conversions, which you can manage remotely. When you install the Converter Standalone server and the Converter Standalone client, you can use the local machine to access remote Converter Standalone servers or create conversion jobs locally.
- (Optional) If you decided to install Remote access or Converter Standalone agent, modify the Web service ports on the Port Settings page.
- Type the HTTPS port service number.
- Type the HTTP port service number.
- Type the Agent port service number.
- (Optional) On the User Experience Setting page, you can select the check box to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program, and click Next
Note: If you do not want to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program, deselect the check box instead.
- On the Ready to Install page, click Install.
- (Optional) If you installed the Converter Standalone client, deselect Run Converter Standalone Client now to complete the installation without starting the application at this time.
- On the Installation Completed page, click Finish.
A prompt might ask you to restart your system.
The selected Converter Standalone components are installed on the local machine and are ready for use.
What to do next
You can use Converter Standalone to convert physical or virtual machine sources to virtual machine destinations.