You can store a disk volume in a datastore different from the one that accommodates the virtual machine configuration file (.vmx).
You can select the destination datastore for a volume only for managed destinations with more than one datastore.
On the Options page of the Conversion wizard, click Data to copy in the options list.
- From the Data copy type drop-down menu, select Select volumes to copy.
- Click Advanced and select the Destination layout tab.
- Select a volume from the list and click Add disk.
A new virtual disk appears in the Destination layout column.
- Select a source volume and use the Move up or Move down buttons to accommodate the volume in the new virtual disk.
The partitioning scheme of the first source volume that you move will determine the type of the new virtual disk on the destination virtual machine.
If you leave the virtual disk empty, Converter Standalone does not create the virtual disk on the destination virtual machine.
- Highlight the new virtual disk and select a different datastore from the Destination datastore drop-down menu.
- Save your settings.
Option Description Select another option from the options list Saves your settings and displays the pane for the selected option. Click Next Saves your settings and displays the next page of the Conversion wizard.
- The Customizations page is displayed if you select Customize guest preferences for the virtual machine in the Advanced options pane.
- The Summary page is displayed if you do not select Customize guest preferences for the virtual machine in the Advanced options pane.
The virtual disk file (.vmdk) that contains the volume is stored in the selected datastore.