You can install Converter Standalone on a physical or a virtual machine. The local setup installs the Converter Standalone server, Converter Standalone agent, and Converter Standalone client for local use.
If you install Converter Standalone in local mode, you can create and manage conversion tasks only from the machine on which you installed the application. During the installation you can choose to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program. See Configuring the Customer Experience Improvement Program.
Verify that your system meets the Converter Standalone system requirements.
Verify that you have Administrator privileges.
If you have an earlier version of Converter Standalone agent on the system, uninstall Converter Standalone agent.
- Download the latest version of Converter Standalone from the VMware Web site.
- In the folder that contains the installer file you downloaded, double-click the VMware-converter-6.2.x-<xxxxx>.exe file, where <xxxxx> is the number of the build.
- Follow the prompts till the End-User License Agreement page appears.
- Select I agree to the terms in the License agreement and click Next.
- On the Destination Folder page, select the location to install Converter Standalone and click Next.
The default location is C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.
- On the Setup Type page, select Local installation and click Next.
- (Optional) On the User Experience Setting page, you can select the check box to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program, and click Next.
Note: If you do not want to join the Customer Experience Improvement Program, deselect the check box instead.
- On the Ready to Install page, click Install.
- (Optional) On the Installation Completed page, deselect Run VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client now if you want to start the application later.
- On the Installation Completed page, click Finish.
A prompt might ask you to restart your system.
What to do next
You can use Converter Standalone to convert physical or virtual machine sources to virtual machine destinations.