A linked clone is a VMware virtual machine that shares the virtual disk of the source virtual machine.
You can create linked clones only when you convert a virtual machine to a hosted destination.
You cannot create a linked clone if the source image is password-protected.
Turn off the source virtual machine.
To verify that your source type is a supported source, see Supported Source Types.
- On the Destination System page, select VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine as a destination and click Next.
- On the Options page, click Data to copy in the left pane.
- In the Data copy type drop-down menu, select Linked clone.
- Save your settings.
Option Description Select another option from the options list Saves your settings and displays the pane for the selected option. Click Next Saves your settings and displays the next page of the Conversion wizard.
- The Customizations page is displayed if you select Customize guest preferences for the virtual machine in the Advanced options pane.
- The Summary page is displayed if you do not select Customize guest preferences for the virtual machine in the Advanced options pane.
You have set up a conversion job to create a linked clone.