If you choose to convert a virtual machine managed by vCenter Server or an ESXi host, you must browse the inventory to locate the source virtual machine.
On the Source System page of the Conversion wizard, select VMware Infrastructure virtual machine as the conversion source and click Next to proceed to the Source Machine page.
- (Optional) If you are connected to a vCenter Server, select a virtual machine view from the Specify machine with drop-down menu.
Option Description Hosts and Clusters The Inventory tree pane provides a view of hosts, clusters, resource pools, and vApps. If you select a host managed by a cluster, you see the full list of virtual machines and templates in the virtual machine list view. If you select a standalone host or a cluster, you see only the virtual machines that are not deployed in the resource pools of that host or cluster. VMs and Templates The Inventory tree pane provides a view of datacenters and virtual machine folders.
- (Optional) If you are connected to a vCenter Server, select an object from the Inventory tree pane.
Option Description Hosts and Clusters Select cluster, ESXi host, resource pool, or vApp. VMs and Templates Select datacenter or virtual machine folder.
- From the virtual machines list, select the virtual machine you want to convert.
You can search for virtual machines in the virtual machine list by typing one or more letters of their names in the Search for name with text box. You can clear your search by clicking Clear.Note: You cannot select a virtual machine from an ESXi host that is powered off, connected to another vCenter Server, or in maintenace mode.
- (Optional) To refresh the inventory, click Refresh.
- (Optional) To view more details about a machine, select it and click View source details.
- Click Next to proceed to the Destination System page.
What to do next
On the Destination System page, you can select the destination type for the new virtual machine.