You can change the password for the root user on a tenant or service provider vCenter Server instance. The default root password for the vCenter Server instance is the password you enter during the deployment of the virtual appliance.
Verify that the new password meets the corporate requirements for password complexity of your organization.
- Browse to the vCenter Server Appliance in the vSphere Web Client or the vSphere Client inventory.
- On the Summary tab, click Launch Console.
- Click inside the console window and press F2 to customize the system.
- To log in to the Direct Console User Interface, type the current password of the root user and press Enter.
- Select Configure Root Password and press Enter.
- Type the old password of the root user, and press Enter.
- Set up the new password and press Enter.
- Press Esc until you return to the main menu of the Direct Console User Interface.