You can start a Failover task to migrate a VM from your vSphere (on-prem) environment to vCloud Director (cloud) environment.
Verify that the VM that you want to migrate to vCloud Director is protected through your vSphere environment.
- Log in to the vCloud Availability Portal using Organization administrator credentials.
- Navigate to the Workloads tab under Workspaces and locate the VM that you want to migrate.
- Call out the Actions pane by clicking the VM.
- Click Failover to select the task.
Optionally, you can select to turn on the VM after the migration is finished.
- Click Start in the Actions pane to initiate the Failover task.
You can monitor the progress of the task in the Actions pane.
When the Failover task is finished, an F letter appears in the status icon on the Workloads tab. The Actions pane displays an OK message. The migrated VM is running in the vCloud Director (cloud) environment and is recovered from the vSphere (on-prem) site.
What to do next
You can perform a Reverse task to protect the VM in your vSphere (on-prem) environment. Ensure the target VM at the vSphere (on-prem) site is powered off. If the target VM is powered on, the Reverse task fails and the workload state returns back to Normal. You can use the Actions pane to power off the target VM.