You can migrate virtual machines from one resource pool to another on the same provider virtual datacenter. You can migrate virtual machines to populate a recently added resource pool, to depopulate a resource pool you plan to decommission, or to manually balance the provider virtual datacenter's resources.
About this task
Virtual machines that are part of a reservation pool organization virtual datacenter cannot be migrated. Templates and media should be migrated separately using datastore migration.
Verify that you have at least one resource pool on the provider virtual datacenter other than the resource pool the virtual machines are on.
- Click the Manage & Monitor tab and click Provider VDCs in the left pane.
- Right-click the provider virtual datacenter name and select Open.
- Click the Resource Pools tab.
- Right-click the resource pool name and select Open.
- Right-click the virtual machine name and select Migrate to.
Hold down Ctrl and click to select multiple virtual machines.
- Choose how to select the destination resource pool for the virtual machine.
Automatically select a resource pool
vCloud Director chooses the destination resource pool for the virtual machines based on the current resource balance of all available resource pools.
Manually select a resource pool
Select a resource pool from the list of available resource pools to which to migrate the virtual machines to .
- Click OK.