To configure the vCloud Director details, you customize the appliance template.
When you deploy the vCloud Director appliance as a first member of the server group, you configure the network properties, the appliance settings, the database connections, and the initial system settings. When you deploy the vCloud Director appliance as a subsequent member of a server group, you configure only the network properties and the appliance settings for the new server.
Mixed vCloud Director installations on Linux and vCloud Director appliances in one server group are unsupported.
- Expand the Network Properties section, enter the IP address for the appliance, and, optionally, set the network details.
- Expand the VCD Appliance Settings section and configure the appliance.
Disabled by default.
Initial root password
The root password for the appliance.
NFS mount for transfer file location
The host name or IP address of the NTP server to use.Note:
For information about changing the date, time, or time zone of the appliance, see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/59674.
- If you are deploying the first member of a server group, expand the VCD Configure section and enter the database details.
DB host name or IP to connect to
The server running the database.
DB password for the db_user
DB type to connect to
postgres or mssql.
DB user to be used to connect with
Defaults to vcloud.
Database name to connect to
Defaults to vcloud.Note:
You cannot configure the database port during the vCloud Director appliance deployment. PostgreSQL databases are configured with the default port 5432, Microsoft SQL databases are configured with the default port 1433. You can set a custom database port after the successful deployment of the appliance by using cell management tool. For information about updating the database connection properties, see the vCloud Director Administrator's Guide.
- If you are deploying the first member of a server group, expand the VCD First Run Wizard Setup section, create the system administrator account, and configure the system settings.
Admin Full Name
The full name of the system administrator
Admin User Name
The user name for the system administrator
The email address of the system administrator
Admin user password
The password for the system administrator
The ID for this vCloud Director installation to use when you create MAC addresses for virtual NICs.
If you plan to create stretched networks across vCloud Director installations in multisite deployments, consider setting a unique installation ID for each vCloud Director installation.
The name for the vCenter Server folder to use for this vCloud Director installation.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to Complete page, review the configuration settings for the vCloud Director appliance, and click Finish to start the deployment.
What to do next
Power on the newly created virtual machine.
If vCloud Director fails to start, to determine whether the cell fails to start after the appliance finishes booting, examine the first boot log at /opt/vmware/var/log/firstboot.