vCloud Director depends on VMware Tools to customize the guest OS.
VMware Tools improves management and performance of the virtual machine by replacing generic operating system drivers with VMware drivers tuned for virtual hardware. You install VMware Tools into the guest operating system. Although the guest operating system can run without VMware Tools, you lose important features and convenience.
The virtual machine must be powered on.
If your newly created virtual machine has no guest operating system, you must install it before you can install VMware Tools.
Guest customization must be disabled prior to installing VMware Tools.
If the version of VMware Tools is earlier than 7299 in a virtual machine in your vApp, you must upgrade it.
- On the Virtual Datacenters dashboard screen, click the card of the virtual data center you want to explore and select Virtual Machines from the left panel.
- Click to view the list in a card view and, optionally, filter the list of virtual machines from the Look in drop-down menu.
- From the More menu of the virtual machine in which you want to install VMware Tools, select Install VMware Tools.
VMware Tools is installed on the target guest operating system. If there is an error during installation, an error message displays. You can also view the progress of the installation operation in the Tasks window.
- Open the Web console of the virtual machine by clicking .
- Follow the instructions on the VMware Knowledge Base Article 1014294 to configure the VMware Tools for your particular operating system.
VMware Tools is installed and configured on the guest operating system.