After you deploy the vCloud Usage Meter appliance, you can change the root account password, due to security restrictions or other reasons.
- In the vSphere Web Client, restart the guest operating system of the vCloud Usage Meter virtual appliance.
- Click the console and wait for the GNU GRUB menu to appear.
- In the GNU GRUB menu, use the arrow keys to select SLES 12-SP2 and press the E button.
The GNU GRUB menu remains on the screen for several seconds before it starts the boot sequence.
- Use the arrow keys to go to the line that begins with linux and append the
init=/bin/bashstring at the end of the line.
- To boot the system, press Ctrl+X or F10.
- To change the root account password, enter the following commands in the console:
mount -o remount,rw / passwd
- Enter the new password and re-enter the same password to confirm the change.
- Restart the vCloud Usage Meter appliance by using the vSphere Web Client.
You successfully changed the root account password of the vCloud Usage Meter appliance.