To begin metering, you must provide a host name and credentials for at least one vCenter Server instance. You can add one or more instances.
Verify that you have additional vCenter Server user permissions, other than Read-only. To add the required additional permissions, perform the following steps.
Log in to the vSphere Web Client as an administrator.
Click the Create role button.
Type a name for the new role.
Select the following permission:
Profile-driven storage > Profile-driven storage view
Assign the new role to the user which you use for vCloud Usage Meter collection.
If your vCenter Server is protected by Site Recovery Manager, credentials are needed for both the protected and recovery site vCenter Server instances. For more information about configuring Site Recovery Manager, see Site Recovery Manager Installation and Configuration in the VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Documentation Center.
vCloud Usage Meter cannot successfully collect metering data from a vCenter Server managed by multiple vRealize Operations Manager servers. Verify that a single vRealize Operations Manager instance manages the vCenter Server you add.
- Click Manage in the top right menu bar of the Web application.
- Click the Products tab.
- Click the Add button located in the vCenter Server area.
- (Optional) : If you are using an external Platform Services Controller (PSC), select the External Platform Services Controller check box.
- Enter the external PSC hostname in the text box.
- Enter the PSC port.
By default, the PSC port is 7444.
- Enter a host name, IP address for the vCenter Server in the vCenter Server hostname text box.
- Enter the user name in the Administrator User Name text box.
- Enter the password in the Password text box.
- Select the Meter check box.
Do not select if this site is a recovery site vCenter Server instance.
- Click the Site Recovery Manager Peer vCenter Server drop-down.
If this site is a protected site instance, select and link it to the corresponding recovery site instance in the drop-down menu. To appear on the drop-down, the recovery site instance must be added. You must not add Site Recovery Manager servers to vCloud Usage Meter because vCloud Usage Meter detects them through their associated vCenter Server instance.
For each product server that you add, vCloud Usage Meter might present a certificate that you can verify. You might be prompted to accept the server certificate before proceeding.
- The newly added virtual machines are not displayed immediately under the vCenter rules inventory. As the rules section uses only the vCenter Server inventory tree, a sync is required in order for the changes to reflect. Click Synchronize All vCenter Inventories.
The changes made are reflected immediately under the vCloud Usage Meter Rules section.Note:
When adding a vCenter Server that is using a demo or perpetual license, update the correct license information within an hour of adding the product. If you do not update the license information, that vCenter Server gets metered and charged.
The vCenter Server instance is added to the list of vCenter Server instances. If an error occurs, a message appears and the server instance is not added. vCloud Usage Meter performs collections against all added vCenter Server instances and Site Recovery Manager instances in both the protected and recovery sites.