Use the vSphere Web Client to install the vCloud Usage Meter virtual appliance.
Download the vCloud Usage Meter OVA installation file from the product page and save it locally.
Verify that you have access and sufficient privileges to deploy an OVA with the vSphere Web Client.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to Hosts and Clusters.
- Choose a target host or cluster for your vCloud Usage Meter and right-click it in the vSphere Web Client Navigator.
- Select Deploy OVF Template from the drop-down menu.
- In the Deploy OVF Template dialog box, specify the location of the saved OVA file, and click Next.
- Verify the OVF Template details and click Next.
- Accept the end-user license agreement.
- Specify the name and target location for the appliance.
- Select the installation target resource in which to run the vCloud Usage Meter.
You can choose a cluster, a host, a vApp, or a resource pool.
- Select a location to store the vCloud Usage Meter files.
Select the virtual disk format, the VM storage policy, and the datastore for the appliance.
- Select a network for the installed template.
By default, the appliance is deployed with IP allocation set to DHCP and protocol set to IPv4. Do not change the IP protocol to IPv6.
- Set the passwords for the root and usgmtr accounts.
Keep a record of the root password. The password cannot be recovered, but can be changed. See Change the vCloud Usage Meter Root Password for instructions about changing the vCloud Usage Meter root password.
- Review the information in the Ready to complete dialog box and click Finish.
Wait for the process to complete.
What to do next
If you selected fixed for the IP allocation policy, configure an IP pool for vCloud Usage Meter. See Configuring an IP Pool for vCloud Usage Meter.
Set the vCloud Usage Meter appliance vRAM as needed. Most service providers can run well with 3600 MB (default). Memory use can be monitored on the Support page and adjusted as needed.