You deploy the vCloud Usage Meter appliance by using the vSphere Web Client.
- Download the vCloud Usage Meter OVA installation file from the My VMware download product page and save it locally.
- You must have access and sufficient privileges to deploy an OVA file by using the vSphere Web Client.
- Log in to the vSphere Web Client as a user who has sufficient privileges to deploy an OVA file.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to Hosts and Clusters.
- Right-click a target host or cluster for your vCloud Usage Meter appliance, and select Deploy OVF Template.
- In the Deploy OVF Template wizard, navigate to the vCloud Usage Meter OVA file, and click Next.
- Enter a unique name for the vCloud Usage Meter appliance, select the target deployment location, and click Next.
- On the Select a compute resource page, select the deployment target resource in which to run the vCloud Usage Meter appliance, and click Next.
You can choose a cluster, a host, a vApp, or a resource pool.
- Verify the OVF template details and click Next.
- Review and accept the end-user license agreement, and click Next.
- On the Select storage page, select where and how to store the vCloud Usage Meter files.
Select the virtual disk format, the VM storage policy, and the datastore for the appliance.
- Select a network for the deployed template and click Next.
By default, the appliance is deployed with IP allocation set to DHCP and protocol set to IPv4. Do not change the IP protocol to IPv6.
- Set the passwords for the root, usagemeter, and umauditor accounts.
The umauditor user account has read-only access to the configuration and log files.Note: Keep a record of the root password. The root password cannot be recovered, but can be reset. See How do I reset the root password for instructions about changing the vCloud Usage Meter root password.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the information and click Finish.
Important: To avoid compliance issues with VMware Cloud Provider Program, do not clone vCloud Usage Meter appliances. If you need an additional vCloud Usage Meter instance, you must deploy a new vCloud Usage Meter appliance.
What to do next
If you selected fixed IP allocation policy, configure a Network Protocol Profile for vCloud Usage Meter. See How do I configure a network protocol profile in vCloud Usage Meter.
Set the vCloud Usage Meter appliance vRAM as needed. Most service providers can run well with 3600 MB (default). Memory use can be monitored on the Support page and adjusted as needed.