You can register a Puppet Master solution instance in an Application Services deployment environment using a Ruby script that runs locally on the Puppet Master server.
About this task
For information on the equivalent alternative to using a Ruby script, see Create a Puppet Solution Instance.
Log in to Application Services as an application cloud administrator.
You must have a Puppet Master server available with Ruby version 1.8.7, 2.0.x for Puppet 3.2 and higher, or 2.1.x for Puppet 3.5 and higher installed on it.
- Log in to the Puppet Master server.
- Download the Ruby script from the Application Services server URL.
- (Optional) Run the Ruby script with the -h option to view the registration options.
ruby RegisterWithAppD.rb -h
Options: -i, --appd_ip APPSERVICESIP Specify the IP address or host name of the Application Services instance. -u, --appd_user USERNAME Specify the user name of the administrator account for the Application Services instance. The default is admin. -p, --appd_password PASSWORD Specify the password for the administrator account. -t, --appd_tenant TENANT Specify the name of the tenant assigned to the user. -g, --appd_group GROUP Specify the business group assigned to the user. -d, --appd_de_name DENAME Specify the name of the deployment environment to register this puppet master under. -n, --node_manifest_dir DIR Specify the directory where Application Services places node definition files for servers under its management. The default is the 'appd_nodes' sub-directory under the site manifest directory. -c, --cert_name CN Specify the 'subject' for the certificate that Application Services uses to authenticate to Puppet Master. The default is 'vmware-appd'. -s, --[no-]skip_mc_agent Install the Application Services MCollective agent and restart the MCollective daemon. Installs the MC agent by default. Use -s to skip.
- Run the Ruby script to register the Puppet Master solution instance with the Application Services instance.
ruby RegisterWithAppD.rb -i APPSERVICESIP -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -d DENAME -t TENANT -g GROUP
- Verify that you receive a notification when the script successfully registers the solution instance.
- Log in to the Application Services Web interface.
- On the Application Services title bar, click the drop-down menu and select Clouds > Deployment Environments.
- Select the existing deployment environment with the registered solution instance.
- Select the Solution Instances tab and click the solution instance.
- If you are running the Ruby script on Puppet Master Open Source, perform the following steps.
- Click Edit in the toolbar.
- In the Agents section, set the is_enterprise property value to false.
- Click Save to finish.
- Click Validate Connection to check the connection to the server.
A notification informs you that the connection is successful and a green check mark appears next to the Validate Connection button.
What to do next
Import Puppet content into the Application Services library as services. See Import a Puppet Service to the Library.