The Join Domain predefined task allows a Windows virtual machine to join an Active Directory domain as part of the deployment process. The predefined task starts the Windows Domain Manager Netdom.exe utility, to automate this operation.
About this task
With the predefined task, you do not need to manually configure a Windows virtual machine template with static domain settings and you can customize the task. The predefined task requires an extra restart cycle to complete the process of joining an Active Directory domain.
Log in to Application Services as an application publisher and deployer.
Verify that Application Services is configured to use a proxy. See Configure Application Services to Use a Proxy for External URLs.
For multiple deployments, manually enable the Change SID and Domain Join options for a Windows virtual machine template before you deploy an application. See Enable SID Change and Domain Join for Windows Virtual Machine Templates.
- On the Application Services title bar, click the drop-down menu and select Applications.
- Click the name of a Windows-based application.
A list of application versions appear.
- Select an application version.
- Create a deployment profile.
- In the Deployment Profile wizard, follow the prompts to Execution Plan.
- If the node is clustered, click Expand Cluster ().
If the clustered node is not expanded, the predefined task is added only to the first virtual machine in the cluster.
- Click Add Script Task () and drag a predefined task in the blueprint.
When you drag a predefined task, you see anchors () that indicate where you can drop the predefined task.
After you drag and drop a predefined task to a node, the Add Custom Task dialog box appears.
- Select the predefined task from the Library Task Name drop-down menu.
The supported operating systems, predefined task details, script, and property details appear.
- On the Properties tab, configure the properties.
- Select the domain_name property, type a new name for the Windows domain in the Edit Property dialog box, and click Save.
- Select the domain_user property, specify the name of the domain user who can join the Active Directory in the Edit Property dialog box, and click Save.
- Select the domain_password property, type the domain user password in the Edit Property dialog box, and click Save.
- (Optional) Select the apply_ou property, change the new value to Yes in the Edit Property dialog box to allow a specific organization unit in the Active Directory domain to join a Windows virtual machine, and click Save.
- (Optional) Select the domain_ou property, specify the organization unit in the Active Directory domain in the Edit Property dialog box, and click Save.
- Click OK.
The Join Domain predefined task is added to the execution plan.
- Review the deployment profile settings and deploy the application.
What to do next
Explore whether to add a customized task to the Application Services library. See Add a Custom Task to the Library.