The Clustered DotShoppingCart is a sample three-tier Windows-based application that uses Microsoft SQL Server as the database server, Microsoft IIS Server as the application server, and Apache HTTP Server as the load balancer.
About this task
The Create_DB script creates and initializes the DotShoppingCart database in the SQL Server database. The DotShoppingCart_App script installs the DotShoppingCart application in the Microsoft IIS server and uses the DotShoppingCart database. The Microsoft IIS AppServer node is defined as a cluster that allows scaling out to multiple nodes for handling a larger load. The Apache HTTP server handles the load balancing.
Use the predefined sample application only in a test environment.
Register the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 vApp template to a cloud provider. See Register the vCloud Director Cloud Provider and Template.
Map the cloud template to the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 logical template. See Add a Logical Template to the Library.
Log in to Application Services as an application architect and an application publisher and deployer.
Verify that the DotShoppingCart 3.0 (Open Source Edition) package OpenSourceEdition.V3.zip file is downloaded. The Web server must be configured to transfer the file using the HTTP protocol. Identify the URL used to access the file in a Web browser.
Understand the basic concepts of creating a deployment profile and deploying an application. See Deploying Applications.
- On the Application Services title bar, click the drop-down menu and select Applications.
- Select Clustered DotShoppingCart.
- Click the Blueprint screenshot at the top of the screen.
- In the blueprint editor, select the DotShoppingCart_App application component and type a valid URL for the DSC_ZIP property value.
During deployment, the Application Services agent in the AppServer Windows virtual machine must be able to access the valid URL for the OpenSourceEdition.V3.zip file.
- (Optional) If you plan to have more than one AppServer node, select AppServer and increase the cluster size.
- Create a deployment profile and deploy the application.
- To access the deployed application, open a supported Web browser and type the http://Load_Balancer_IP:8081 URL.
The Load_Balancer_IP is the IP address of the deployed load balancer.
What to do next
Initiate an update process to scale or modify configuration of the Clustered DotShoppingCart application. See Initiate an Update Process to Scale Sample Applications and Initiate an Update Process to Modify Configurations in Sample Applications.