As a vRealize Automation system administrator, you must perform an appliance database maintenance failover operation.
About this task
This scenario assumes that the current master node is up and running normally. There are two database failover maintenance steps: maintenance of the master and maintenance of a replica node. When a master node has been replaced so that it becomes a replica, you should perform maintenance on it so that it is suitable to become the master again should the need arise.
vRealize Automation is installed and configured according to appropriate instructions in the Installation Guide.
Log in to the vRealize Automation management console as root.
You have an appropriate embedded Postgres appliance database cluster installed and configured.
If your database uses synchronous replication mode, ensure that there are at least three active nodes in the cluster.
- Ensure that the current master node is up and running in preparation for maintenance.
- Select the most suitable replica node for promotion to the master, and click Promote.
The old master is demoted to replica status, and the new master is promoted.
- Exclude the replica virtual appliance address from the external load balancer pool.
- Perform the appropriate replica maintenance.
- When the maintenance is complete, ensure that the virtual appliance is running with network connectivity and that its haproxy service is running.
- Click Reset for the replica node.
This operation resets the database so that it is configured to replicate to the current master and resynchronizes the replica node with the latest haproxy configuration from the master node.
- Following successful reset, return the replica virtual appliance node IP address to the external virtual appliance load balancer IP address pool.