As a system administrator, you want to define locations for your Boston and London datacenters so your fabric administrators can apply the appropriate locations to compute resources in each datacenter. When your blueprint architects create blueprints, they can enable the locations feature so users can choose to provision machines in Boston or London when they fill out their catalog item request forms.
About this task
You have a datacenter in London, and a datacenter in Boston, and you do not want users in Boston provisioning machines on your London infrastructure or vice versa. To ensure that Boston users provision on your Boston infrastructure, and London users provision on your London infrastructure, you want to allow users to select an appropriate location for provisioning when they request machines.
- Log in to your IaaS Web Server host using administrator credentials.
This is the machine on which you installed the IaaS Website component.
- Edit the file WebSite\XmlData\DataCenterLocations.xml in the Windows server install directory (typically %SystemDrive%\Program Files x86\VMware\vCAC\Server).
- Edit the CustomDataType section of the file to create Data Name entries for each location.
<CustomDataType> <Data Name="London" Description="London datacenter" /> <Data Name="Boston" Description="Boston datacenter" /> </CustomDataType
- Save and close the file.
- Restart the manager service.
- If you have more than one IaaS Web Server host, repeat this procedure on each redundant instance.
Your fabric administrator can apply the appropriate location to compute resources located in each datacenter. See Scenario: Apply a Location to a Compute Resource for Cross Region Deployments.