Install the Windows guest agent on a Windows reference machine to run as a Windows service and enable further customization of machines.
Identify or create the reference machine.
Establish secure trust between the guest agent and your Manager Service machine. See Configuring the Guest Agent to Trust a Server.
- Navigate to the vCloud Automation Center Appliance management console page.
For example: https://va-hostname.domain.com.
- Click Guest and software agents page in the vRealize Automation component installation section of the page.
For example: https://va-hostname.domain.com/software/index.html.
The Guest and Software Agent Installers page opens, displaying links to available downloads.
- Click Windows guest agent files (32-bit) or (64-bit) in the component installation section of the page to download and save the GuestAgentInstaller.exe or GuestAgentInstaller_x64.exe file.
- Extract the Windows guest agent files to a location available to the Windows machine.
This produces the directory C:\VRMGuestAgent. Do not rename this directory.
- Configure the guest agent to communicate with the Manager Service.
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- Navigate to C:\VRMGuestAgent.
- Configure the guest agent to trust your Manager Service machine.
Allow the guest agent to trust the first machine to which it connects.
No configuration required.
Manually install the trusted PEM file.
Place the Manager Service PEM file in the C:\VRMGuestAgent\ directory.
winservice -i -h Manager_Service_Hostname_fdqn:portnumber -p ssl.
The default port number for the Manager Service is 443.
If you are using a load balancer
Enter the fully qualified domain name and port number of your Manager Service load balancer. For example,
winservice -i -h load_balancer_manager_service.mycompany.com:443 -p ssl.
With no load balancer
Enter the fully qualified domain name and port number of your Manager Service machine. For example,
winservice -i -h manager_service_machine.mycompany.com:443 -p ssl.
If you are preparing an Amazon machine image
You need to specify that you are using Amazon. For example,
winservice -i -h manager_service_machine.mycompany.com:443:443 -p ssl -c ec2
The name of the Windows service is VCACGuestAgentService. You can find the installation log VCAC-GuestAgentService.log in C:\VRMGuestAgent.
What to do next
Convert your reference machine into a template for cloning, an Amazon machine image, or a snapshot so your IaaS architects can use your template when creating blueprints.