You can create endpoints that allow vRealize Automation to communicate with the vSphere environment and discover compute resources, collect data, and provision machines. You can optionally associate NSX settings to the vSphere endpoint by associating to an NSX endpoint.
About this task
If you upgraded or migrated a vSphere endpoint that was using an NSX manager, a new NSX endpoint is created that contains an association between the source vSphere endpoint and a new NSX endpoint.
If your vSphere environment is integrated with NSX, see Create an NSX Endpoint and Associate to a vSphere Endpoint.
For more information about validating the connection and certificate trust, see Considerations When Using Test Connection.
Log in to the vRealize Automation console as an IaaS administrator.
You must install a vSphere proxy agent to manage your vSphere endpoint, and you must use the same exact name for your endpoint and agent. For information about installing the agent, see Installing and Configuring the Proxy Agent for vSphere.
If you want to configure additional NSX network and security settings for the vSphere endpoint, create an NSX endpoint. You can associate to the NSX endpoint as you create the vSphere endpoint. See Create an NSX Endpoint and Associate to a vSphere Endpoint.
- Select .
- Select .
- Enter a name in the Name text box.
The name must match the endpoint name provided to the vSphere proxy agent during installation or data collection fails.
- (Optional) : Enter a description in the Description text box.
- Enter the URL for the vCenter Server instance in the Address text box.
The URL must be of the type: https://hostname/sdk or https://IP_address/sdk.
For example, https://vsphereA/sdk.
- Enter your vSphere integrated credentials or your vSphere administrator-level user name and password.
Provide credentials with permission to modify custom attributes.
The user name format is domain\username.
If you enter your vSphere integrated credentials, you do not need to enter a user name and password.
- (Optional) : Click Properties and add supplied custom properties, property groups, or your own property definitions for the endpoint.
- (Optional) : To configure NSX network and security settings for the endpoint, click Associations and associate to an existing NSX endpoint.
You must have at least one NSX endpoint to create an association.
- (Optional) : Click Test Connection to validate the credentials, host endpoint address, and certificate trust. The action also checks that the manager service and agent are running so that endpoint can be data-collected. The OK action tests for these same conditions.
The Test Connection action returns information about any of the following conditions:
If the certificate is not found, trusted, or has expired, you are prompted to accept a certificate thumbprint. If you do not accept the thumbprint, you can still save the endpoint but machine provisioning might fail.
The associated vSphere agent is not found. The agent must be running for the test to succeed.
The specified endpoint address is not reachable or the associated manager service is not running. The manager service must be running for the test to succeed.
The specified user name and password combination is invalid for the endpoint at the specified address.
The test action could not complete in the allowed two-minute time period.
If the Test Connection action fails, you can still save the endpoint but machine provisioning might fail.
If there is a trusted certificate issue, for example the certificate has expired, you are prompted to accept a certificate thumbprint.
- Click OK to save the endpoint.
The OK action tests for the same conditions as the Test Connection action. If it finds any of the preceding conditions, it returns a message. If it can save, it leaves the error on the screen for you to review.
vRealize Automation collects data from your endpoint and discovers your compute resources.
Do not rename vSphere data centers after the initial data collection or provisioning might fail.
What to do next
Add the compute resources from your endpoint to a fabric group. See Create a Fabric Group.