An external network profile identifies network properties and settings for an existing network. An external network profile is a requirement of NAT and routed network profiles.
For information about how you can create an external network profile by obtaining IPAM address information from a registered third-party IPAM endpoint such as Infoblox, see Checklist For Providing Third-Party IPAM Provider Support and Create an External Network Profile by Using A Third-Party IPAM Provider. Use the following procedure to create a network profile by using the VMware internal IPAM endpoint.
Log in to the vRealize Automation console as a fabric administrator.
- Select .
- Click New and select Existing or External from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a name and, optionally, a description.
- Accept the default IPAM endpoint value for the supplied vRealize Automation IPAM endpoint.
- Enter an IP subnet mask in the Subnet mask text box.
The subnet mask specifies the size of the entire routable address space that you want to define for your network profile.
For example, enter 255.255.0.0.
- Enter an Edge or routed gateway address in the Gateway text box.
Use a standard IPv4 address format. For example, enter 10.10.110.1.
The gateway IP address defined in the network profile is assigned to the NIC during allocation. If no value is assigned in the Gateway text box in the network profile, then you must use the VirtualMachine.Network0.Gateway custom property when provisioning the Edge machine.
- Click the DNS tab.
- Enter DNS and WINS values as needed.
DNS values are used for DNS name registration and resolution. The DNS and WINS fields are optional if you are using an internal IPAM endpoint. If you are using an external IPAM endpoint, the DNS and WINS values are provided by the third-party IPAM provider.
- (Optional) Enter a Primary DNS server value.
- (Optional) Enter a Secondary DNS server value.
- (Optional) Enter a DNS suffixes value.
- (Optional) Enter a DNS search suffixes value.
- (Optional) Enter a Preferred WINS server value.
- (Optional) Enter an Alternate WINS server value.
What to do next
You can configure IP ranges for static IP addresses. See Configure External Network Profile IP Ranges By Using the Supplied IPAM Endpoint.