If the SSL certificate of the management site service expires, or you started with a self-signed certificate and site policies require a different one, you can replace the certificate.
About this task
You are allowed to reuse the certificate used by the vRealize Automation service on port 443, or use a different one. If you are requesting a new CA-issued certificate to update an existing certificate, a best practice is to reuse the Common Name from the existing certificate.
The vRealize Automation appliance uses lighttpd to run its own management site. You secure the management site service on port 5480.
The certificate must be in PEM format.
The certificate must include both of the following, in order, together in one file:
RSA private key
The private key cannot be encrypted.
The default location and file name is /opt/vmware/etc/lighttpd/server.pem.
See Extracting Certificates and Private Keys for more information about exporting a certificate and private key from a Java keystore to a PEM file.
- Log in by using the appliance console or SSH.
- Back up your current certificate file.
cp /opt/vmware/etc/lighttpd/server.pem /opt/vmware/etc/lighttpd/server.pem-bak
- Copy the new certificate to your appliance by replacing the content of the file /opt/vmware/etc/lighttpd/server.pem with the new certificate information.
- Run the following command to restart the lighttpd server.
service vami-lighttp restart
- Run the following command to restart the haproxy service.
service haproxy restart
- Log in to the management console and validate that the certificate is replaced. You might need to restart your browser.
What to do next
Update all management agents to recognize the new certificate.
For distributed deployments, you can update management agents manually or automatically. For minimal installations, you must update agents manually.
For information about automatic update, see Automatically Update Management Agents in a Distributed Environment to Recognize a vRealize Automation Appliance Management Site Certificate.
For information about manual update, see Manually Update Management Agent Certificate Recognition.