The presence of vRealize Automation storage reservation policies affects workload placement with vRealize Operations Manager.
When workload placement with vRealize Operations Manager is enabled, vRealize Automation passes a list of available reservations to vRealize Operations Manager, and vRealize Operations Manager evaluates them for storage placement based on operational analysis.
When a blueprint contains storage reservation policies, workload placement recommendations from vRealize Operations Manager change in the following ways.
- Virtual machines with one or more disks, where none specifies a storage reservation policy:
Placement occurs as usual. vRealize Operations Manager evaluates the full, unfiltered list of candidate reservations.
- Virtual machines with one or more disks, where all specify the same storage reservation policy:
Candidate reservations are filtered at the storage level so that vRealize Operations Manager only evaluates datastores that match that storage reservation policy.
- Virtual machines with multiple disks, where some specify the same storage policy but others specify no storage reservation policy:
- When the storage allocation type is COLLECTED, the default, all disks are treated as if they share that same policy. vRealize Operations Manager evaluates datastores that match that storage reservation policy.
- When the storage allocation type is DISTRIBUTED, virtual machines cannot be placed according to vRealize Operations Manager recommendations because individual disk placement is not supported. Placement defaults to vRealize Automation placement algorithms instead.
You can set the storage allocation type by using a custom property.
- Virtual machines with multiple disks, where the disks specify different storage reservation policies:
Because they have conflicting storage reservation policy requirements, these virtual machines cannot be placed according to vRealize Operations Manager recommendations. Placement defaults to vRealize Automation placement algorithms instead.
- Virtual machines that require a specific storage path:
These virtual machines are not placed through a vRealize Operations Manager recommendation because you already specified a storage path. Placement might or might not match what vRealize Operations Manager would have recommended.
You can set the storage path by using a custom property.
Placement Errors—When vRealize Operations Manager based placement cannot occur, an error describes the reason. Reasons might include the unsupported conditions described in the preceding list, or environmental factors such as failed communication between vRealize Operations Manager and vRealize Automation.
To review errors, go to View Placement Errors.. Near the upper right, click