Install the vRealize Automation Windows guest agent on a Windows reference machine to run as a Windows service and enable further customization of machines.
- Identify or create the reference machine.
- Establish secure trust between the guest agent and your Manager Service machine. See Configuring the Guest Agent to Trust a Server.
- Navigate to the vRealize Automation appliance Guest and Software Agent Installers page:
- Under Guest Agent Installers, download and save the 32-bit or 64-bit executable to the root of the C: drive.
Note: There is a command-line alternative to this procedure for guest agent installation. Instead of downloading the executables, you may go to Windows Software Installers on the Guest and Software Agent Installers page. There, you can download and run the prepare_vra_template.ps1 PowerShell script:
PowerShell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command prepare_vra_template.ps1
- Extract the Windows guest agent files by running the executable.
Extraction creates C:\VRMGuestAgent and adds the files.
Do not rename C:\VRMGuestAgent.
- Configure the guest agent to communicate with the Manager Service.
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- Navigate to C:\VRMGuestAgent.
- Put the trusted Manager Service PEM file in the C:\VRMGuestAgent\ directory to configure the guest agent to trust your Manager Service machine.
winservice -i -h Manager_Service_Hostname_fdqn:portnumber -p ssl.The default port number for the Manager Service is 443.
Option Description If you are using a load balancer Enter the fully qualified domain name and port number of your Manager Service load balancer. For example,
winservice -i -h load_balancer_manager_service.mycompany.com:443 -p ssl.
With no load balancer Enter the fully qualified domain name and port number of your Manager Service machine. For example,
winservice -i -h manager_service_machine.mycompany.com:443 -p ssl.
If you are preparing an Amazon machine image You need to specify that you are using Amazon. For example,
winservice -i -h manager_service_machine.mycompany.com:443:443 -p ssl -c ec2
What to do next
Convert your reference machine into a template for cloning, an Amazon machine image, or a snapshot so your IaaS architects can use your template when creating blueprints.