As a cloud administrator, you need to know when vRealize Automation Cloud capacity, performance, and availability are becoming problematic so that you can proactively react before users begin to run out of resources.
You can display a range of alerts provided by the associated vRealize Operations Cloud application. Alerts are available for vSphere and VMware Cloud on AWS resource objects. Use information in alerts to modify the resources and deployments that you manage, or share that information with your team so they can modify objects that they manage.
To examine and act on project deployments that you should consider optimizing, see How to use Alerts to optimize deployments in vRealize Automation Cloud.
Alerts are currently available for vSphere and VMware Cloud on AWS resource objects only. The Alerts tab is only available if access to vRealize Operations Cloud is configured.
The vRealize Automation Cloud alerts threshold values are set in vRealize Operations Cloud. Some vRealize Automation Cloud alerts are currently predefined. Alerts notifications are also set in vRealize Operations Cloud. For information about setting alert definitions and configuring notifications, see Configuring Alerts and Actions in vRealize Operations Cloud product documentation.
- Review Resource management and deployment optimization using vRealize Operations Cloud metrics in vRealize Automation Cloud.
- Verify that you have vRealize Automation Cloud cloud administrator credentials and have enabled HTTPS access on port 443. See Credentials required for working with cloud accounts in vRealize Automation Cloud.
- Verify that you have the vRealize Automation Cloud cloud administrator user role. See What are the vRealize Automation Cloud user roles.
- Configure vRealize Automation Cloud integration with vRealize Operations Cloud. See Integrating with vRealize Operations Cloud and Enabling vRealize Operations Cloud data.
- Configure the vRealize Automation Cloud adapter in vRealize Operations Cloud. See Integrate vRealize Automation Cloud Service with vRealize Operations Cloud Service and Application Integration in vRealize Operations Cloud product documentation.
- Configure the roles that are need to manage alerts. See Custom user roles in vRealize Automation Cloud.
Role capabilities include:
- Cloud administrators can manage cloud zone alerts.
- Project administrators can manage project alerts.
- Service broker administrators can manage deployment alerts.
About vRealize Operations Cloud and resource alerts
vRealize Operations Cloud collects health, usage, and other metrics for the same infrastructure resources and deployments that you manage in vRealize Automation Cloud. By integrating vRealize Automation Cloud with vRealize Operations Cloud, that monitored data is made available to you in vRealize Automation Cloud by using the Alerts tab in the Cloud Assembly main menu .
The alerts data provided by vRealize Operations Cloud includes heath and risk threshold concerns for cloud templates, deployments, organizations, and projects. It also contains information about deployments that can be optimized, based on the owner being contacted by an action taken on the cloud zone Insights tab. See How to use the Insights dashboard to monitor resource capacity and notify project owners in vRealize Automation Cloud.
- Project name
- Deployment name (and link to the deployment) that contain resources that can be optimized
- Suggested actions
- Potential cost savings from reclamation and optimization
- Total number of virtual CPUs used by the deployment
- Total amount of RAM memory used by the deployment
- Total amount of storage used by the deployment
- Virtual machines in the deployment that are recommended for reclamation and optimization, including resource name, idle machines, powered off machines, oversized and undersized machines, underutilized machines, and machine snapshots
By using the Contact project owners option on the cloud zone Insights dashboard, you can see a summary of all projects that have reclaimable capacity (CPU, memory, and storage) in the cloud zone and provide an alert to some or all of the project owners.
You can display alerts threshold information about the resources that you manage by using filtering options on the Alerts page. Alerts data is supplied by your associated vRealize Operations Cloud application. Suggested actions are provided for each alert.
You can also select a deployment from the Deployments to review section to open and optimize that deployment. See How to use Alerts to optimize deployments in vRealize Automation Cloud.
- From within the Cloud Assembly service, click the Alerts tab in the main menu.
- To control the how alerts are displayed, experiment with the available filters. For example, select the Resources option from the filters drop-down menu.
- To display alerts and suggested actions for those alerts, use quick filter options in the selector panel.
- Display alerts about cloud zone resources.
vRealize Operations Cloud can monitor time remaining, capacity remaining, reclaimable capacity, and so on.
- Display alerts about virtual machine resources.
The majority of virtual machine alerts pertain to on/off status, latency, and so on.
- Display alerts about deployment resources.
The deployment alerts pertain to reclaimable resources and right-sizing.
- Display alerts about project resources.
The project alerts pertain to reclaimable resources and allocation limits.
- Display alerts about cloud zone resources.
- Explore other filter types and their quick filtering options to further control the list of alerts.
- Use the Impacts quick filters of health, risk, and efficiency.
- Use the Severity quick filters of critical, immediate, warning, and information.
- Use the Status quick filters of active, cancelled, and dismissed.
- Use the Subtype filters of availability, performance, and capacity.
- Use the Type quick filters of application, hardware, infrastructure, storage, and network.
- Take any needed actions based on alerts data and suggestions.
To learn about other actions that are available, see How to use Alerts to optimize deployments in vRealize Automation Cloud.
You can also display capacity Insights for cloud zone-based resources in projects that you manage. For information about using vRealize Operations Cloud- supplied Insights data in vRealize Automation Cloud, see How to use the Insights dashboard to monitor resource capacity and notify project owners in vRealize Automation Cloud.