The Identity Appliance is a preconfigured virtual appliance that provides single sign-on capabilities. You download the Identity Appliance and deploy it into vCenter Server or ESX/ESXi inventory.
About this task
Exact steps for this procedure vary depending on whether you use the native or Web vSphere client. Also, specific steps can vary depending on the your data center configuration. If you are using VSphere Single-Sign (SSO), you can skip to Configure the Identity Appliance.
Download the Identity Appliance from the VMware Web site.
Log in to the vSphere client as a user with system administrator privileges.
- In the vSphere client, select .
- Browse to the Identity Appliance file with the .ova or .ovf extension and click Open.
- Click Next.
- Click Next on the OVF Template Details page.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- Type a unique virtual appliance name according to the IT naming convention of your organization in the Name text box, select the datacenter and location to which you want to deploy the virtual appliance, and click Next.
- Follow the prompts until the Disk Format page appears.
- Verify on the Disk Format page that enough space exists to deploy the virtual appliance and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to the Properties page.
The options that appear depend on your vSphere configuration.
- Click Next.
- Restart the host machine.
If Power on after deployment is available on the Ready to Complete page.
Select Power on after deployment and click Finish.
Click Close after the file finishes deploying into vCenter.
Wait for the machine to restart. This could take up to five minutes.
If Power on after deployment is not available on the Ready to Complete page.
Restart the machine. This could take up to five minutes.
After a few moments, a success message appears.
- Verify that the fully qualified domain name can be resolved against the IP address of the Identity Appliance by opening a command prompt and pinging the FQDN.