When you install or update the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent DEB package, you can set the target server during installation and keep or replace the liagent.ini configuration file. After installation, you can verify the installed version.
Log in as root or use sudo to run console commands.
Verify that the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent has access to syslog and networking services to function. By default, the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent runs on runlevels 2, 3, 4, and 5 and stops on runlevels 0, 1, and 6.
- Open a console and run the dpkg -i package_name command to install or update the vRealize Log InsightLinux agent.
Replace package_name with the appropriate version.
dpkg -i vmware-log-insight-agent-VERSION-BUILD_NUMBER_all.deb
- To set the target vRealize Log Insight server during installation run the sudo command and replace hostname with the IP address or hostname of the vRealize Log Insight server.
sudo SERVERHOST=hostname dpkg -i vmware-log-insight-agent-VERSION-BUILD_NUMBER_all.deb
Unless you enabled the --force-confold flag during installation, whenever you update to a newer version, the system prompts you to keep or replace the liagent.ini configuration file. The following system message appears.
Configuration file `/var/lib/loginsight-agent/liagent.ini' ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation. ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version. What would you like to do about it ? Your options are: Y or I : install the package maintainer's version N or O : keep your currently-installed version D : show the differences between the versions Z : start a shell to examine the situation The default action is to keep your current version. *** liagent.ini (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
- (Optional) To preserve the existing configuration, use
[default=N]. The additional parameters passed from the comand line are still applied.
- (Optional) To run the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent as a non root user run the sudo command.
sudo LIAGENTUSER=liagent dpkg -i vmware-log-insight-agent-VERSION-BUILD_NUMBER_all.deb
If the specified user does not exist, the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent creates the user account during the installation. The created account is not deleted after uninstallation. If you install the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent with the
LIAGENTUSER=non_root_userparameter and try to upgrade with the
LIAGENTUSER=non_root_user2parameter, a conflict occurs and warnings appear because the non_root_user2 user does not have the permissions of the non_root_user user.
- (Optional) Verify the installed version by running the dpkg -l | grep -i vmware-log-insight-agent command.