By default the SSH connection to the virtual appliance is disabled. You can configure the root SSH password from the VMware Remote Console or when you deploy the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance.
As a best practice, set the root SSH password when you deploy thevRealize Log Insight .ova file. For more information, see Deploy the vRealize Log Insight Virtual Appliance.
You can also enable SSH and set the root password from the VMware Remote Console.
Verify that the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance is deployed and running.
- In the vSphere Client inventory, click the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance, and open the Console tab.
- Go to a command line by following the key combination specified on the splash screen.
- In the console, type root, and press Enter. Leave the password empty and press Enter.
The following message is displayed in the console: Password change requested. Choose a new password.
- Leave the old password empty and press Enter.
- Type a new password for the root user, press Enter, type the new password again for the root user, and press Enter.
The password must consist of at least eight characters, and must include at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one digit, and one special character. You cannot repeat the same character more than four times.
The following message is displayed: Password changed.
What to do next
You can use the root password to establish SSH connections to the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance.