You can install or update the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent DEB (Debian) package from the command line or through the debconf database. After installation, you can verify the installed version.
- Read about installation defaults and how to change them at vRealize Log Insight Agent Installation Options.
- Log in as root or use sudo to run console commands.
- Verify that the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent has access to syslog and networking services to function. By default, the vRealize Log Insight Linux agent runs on runlevels 2, 3, 4, and 5 and stops on runlevels 0, 1, and 6.
- For more information and examples, see Customizing Your Agent Installation for Debian Linux.
- To install or update the vRealize Log InsightLinux agent, open a console and run the dpkg -i package_name command.
The package_name consists of the prefix vmware-log-insight-agent- and the version build number of your download version.The following command form installs the package with default values.
dpkg -i vmware-log-insight-agent-VERSION-BUILD_NUMBER_all.deb
- (Optional) Verify the installed version by running the following command:
dpkg -l | grep -i vmware-log-insight-agent
- Configure the connection protocol from the command line.
To override the default connection protocol, use the SERVERPROTO variable as shown in the following example:
sudo SERVERPROTO=syslog dpkg -i vmware-log-insight-agent-<version-and-build-number>_all.deb