You can use vRealize Log Insight only with a valid license key.
You obtain an evaluation license when you download vRealize Log Insight from the VMware website. This license is valid for 60 days. When the evaluation license expires, you must assign a permanent license to continue using vRealize Log Insight.
The vRealize Log Insight Operating System Instance (OSI) license model defines an OSI as a single installation of an operating system on a non-virtualized physical server or virtual machine. For vRealize Log Insight, an OSI can also be a single system identified by an IP address such as virtualized physical servers, storage arrays, or network devices that can generate log messages.
When a host, server or other source stops sending logs to vRealize Log Insight, the OSI count on the License page is unchanged during the retention period. The retention period is based on license use calculated as the average of the OSI count over the last three months.
You use the Administration section of the vRealize Log Insight web user interface to check the vRealize Log Insight licensing status and manage your licenses.
As part of solution interoperability, VMware NSX users on Standard, Advanced, or Enterprise editions can license vRealize Log Insight with their NSX license key. For more information, consult VMware NSX documentation.
- Obtain a valid license key from My VMware™.
- Verify that you are logged in to the vRealize Log Insight web user interface as a user with the Edit Admin permission. The URL format is https://log-insight-host, where log-insight-host is the IP address or host name of the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance.
- Click the configuration drop-down menu icon and select Administration.
- Under Management, select License.
- In the License Key text box, enter your license key and click Set Key. If you have a VMware NSX license key, enter it here.
- Verify that the license status is Active, and the license type and expiry day are correct.