You can upgrade a cluster to vRealize Log Insight version 8.2 from 8.1 or 8.1.1. You can upgrade a cluster to 8.1 or 8.1.1 from 4.8 or 8.0. You must follow an incremental path to upgrade a cluster to version 4.0 or later, up to 8.0. For example, to upgrade from version 3.6 to 4.3, you apply the 4.0 upgrade to 3.6 and then upgrade from 4.0 to 4.3.
Upgrading vRealize Log Insight must be done from the master node's FQDN. Upgrading using the Integrated Load Balancer IP address is not supported.
During upgrade, the master node is upgraded first, and restarts. Each of the cluster nodes is upgraded sequentially. You can see the status of the rolling upgrade on the /storage/core/loginsight/var/upgrade.log on each individual node. A system notification is sent when the upgrade finishes successfully.page. If the integrated load balancer is configured, its IPs are migrated among the cluster nodes so cluster services, including UI, API, and ingestion of incoming events, remain available throughout the rolling upgrade. Low-level details are written to the file
If a problem is encountered affecting one or more of the nodes during the upgrade process, the entire cluster is rolled back to the original, working version. Because configuration changes performed after the upgrade started might be inconsistent or invalid, the configuration is reverted to a known-good state captured before upgrade. No ingested events are lost. Progress is written to the file /storage/core/loginsight/var/rollback.log on each individual node. A system notification is sent when rollback finishes. After the issue is investigated and fixed, you can retry the upgrade.
After upgrade, all nodes are placed in a connected state and brought online even if they were in maintenance before upgrade.
- Verify that you are applying the correct upgrade to version vRealize Log Insight . For more information about supported upgrade paths, see vRealize Log Insight Upgrade Path.
- Create a snapshot or backup copy of the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance.
- Obtain a copy of the vRealize Log Insight upgrade bundle .pak file for the release you are upgrading to.
- Verify that you are logged in to the vRealize Log Insight web user interface as a user with the Edit Admin permission. The URL format is https://log-insight-host, where log-insight-host is the IP address or host name of the vRealize Log Insight virtual appliance.
- Make a note of any nodes you are upgrading that are in maintenance mode. When the upgrade is finished, you must move them from the state Connected to Maintenance mode.
- Navigate to the Administration tab.
- Under Management, click Cluster.
- Click Upgrade from PAK to upload the .pak file.
- Accept the new EULA to complete the upgrade procedure.
What to do next
After the master node upgrade process is complete, you can view the remaining upgrade process, which is automatic.
Check for the email sent to the Admin to confirm the upgrade completed successfully.
After upgrade, all nodes are brought online even if they were in maintenance mode before the upgrade. Move these nodes back to maintenance mode as needed.