You can configure multiple vRealize Log Insight agents.
Each vRealize Log Insight agent has a local configuration and a server-side configuration. The local configuration is stored in the liagent.ini file on the virtual or physical machine where the vRealize Log Insight agent is installed. The server-side configuration is accessible and editable, for example, from in the web user interface. The configuration of each vRealize Log Insight agent is made up of sections and keys. Keys have configurable values.
vRealize Log Insight agents periodically poll the vRealize Log Insight server and receive the server-side configuration. The server-side configuration and the local configuration are merged and the result is the effective configuration. Each vRealize Log Insight agent uses the effective configuration as its operating configuration. Configurations merge section by section and key by key. The values in the server-side configuration override the values in the local configuration. The merging rules are the following:
- If a section is present only in the local configuration or only in the server-side configuration, this section and all its content become a part of the effective configuration.
- If a section is present in both the local and server-side configuration, the keys in the section are merged according to the following rules:
- If a key is present only in the local configuration or only in the server-side configuration, the key and its value become a part of this section in the effective configuration.
- If a key is present in both the local configuration and the server-side configuration, the key becomes a part of this section in the effective configuration, and the value in the server-side configuration is used.
As a vRealize Log Insight administrator or a user with edit access for agents, you can apply a centralized configuration to all vRealize Log Insight agents. For example, you can navigate to the Administration page, and in the Management section, click Agents. Enter the configuration settings in the Agent Configuration box and click Save Configuration for All Agents. The configuration is applied to all the configurable active agents during the next poll cycle.
As an administrator, you can also use specific filters in agent groups, such as by OS, agent version, hostname, or IP ranges, and apply the configuration to specific vRealize Log Insight agents. For information about agent groups, see Working with Agent Groups.
- You can apply a centralized configuration only to vRealize Log Insight agents that use the cfapi protocol.
- A vRealize Log Insight agent is not configurable in either of the following scenarios:
- The current vRealize Log Insight server is not a primary destination. For information about configuring multiple destinations, see Specify an Agent's Target.
- The parameter
central_config = nois used in the agent configuration. For information about the default agent configuration for Windows, see Default Configuration of the Log Insight Windows Agent.